Monday, September 18, 2006

i'm home!

I've been home in Adelaide for a week now but didn't post on here because I was planning on surprising old friends by arriving early.

I came home early as I was a little too poor to stick around...North America was a lot more expensive than I thought it would be! Plus by the time I got to Montreal I realised that I was on my way home and just wanted to hurry up and get here. I had a nightmare series of flights on the way home...I think I missed around 3 flight connections and had 6 different flight numbers...I eventually got home after around 30 hours in planes and airports.

It was cool to see my Mum and Nigel of course, but it was especially nice to see my doggy Scottie and some friends that I haven't seen for a year and a half. Scottie's getting older so he's not quite as much of a pain in the behind as he used to be. That's him down there. Isn't he cute??
So...as everyone already told me, not much has changed in Adelaide in the year and a half that I've been gone. There is now a Starbucks in Rundell Mall and the new police headquarters is finally finished...my Mum & Nigel have torn down half of the house and put a very nice & sunny extension on the back of the house. These are pretty much the most drastic changes I've noted. One thing's for sure though...I've realised how high our standard of living is in Australia and especially in Adelaide. We have fresh air, beautiful gum trees, fine foods, clean streets, huge houses and back yards, a relaxing lifestyle and pretty darn good weather. The biggest bad point is that the price of everything has risen dramatically while I've been gone. I need a job fast!

I'd been pretty worried that on arriving back in Adelaide I would want to leave again. I wasn't the happiest 18 month ago and I was worried I would fall into the old habits and let my old demons take over now that I'm back. That feeling did hit me a little bit along with the jetlag...but I think I've handled it pretty well so far. I figure I am going to have to be here for at least 6 months so I'd better make the most of it. Even though I think I know everyone and everything about Adelaide, I don't, and I'm going to tackle it head on just like I did when I arrived in London and Edinburgh. I actually feel a bit like a guest here anyway so it should be fun getting to know Adelaide from a new angle.

I'm going to call up all the temp agencies today so I can jump back into the working world (yay!). I'm catching up with some old friends from Adelaide Uni for lunch which will be fantastic. I've been into uni to see about taking up my Landscape Architecture degree again...good news is I won't have to repeat anything so I'd only have a year and a half of study left...bad news is I wouldn't be able to start until July next year. I've found a job that I'd love to try out until then though- it's as a intellectual disability support worker within an outdoor adventure program...at the moment I'm questioning if I would rather do this than design. I've looked up Adelaide swing dance and it seems I have 3 nights of classes to choose from which is excellent...also 'Church City Blues' is a dance weekend coming up here in October which I'm looking forward to. Shell will be here from Edinburgh and it'll be cool to catch up as I miss her already!

For now though I'd better get off this blog and get ready for job interviews. Hope everyone's well who's reading this from the other side of the world!

Becky xxx

What I'm listening to at the moment: Kraftwerk, Computer Love

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to see you made it home ok. Glad you are keeping up with the swing dancing. Can't wait for city church blues!

12:06 am  
Blogger Cherry said...

Glad to see you got back ok. How you finding working with people with intellectual disabilities? Its what I have been doing for about 4years now.
Cheers
Cherry

8:45 am  
Blogger Janka said...

what..??You're home already..?! seems like yesterday when I met you in London...!! But yeah, stick around in good ol' Adelaide for a bit we can catch up in dec ;)
Have fun and enjoy being back home!

J.
p.s.: so sorry that we kicked your arses at the hockey game, hahaha!

3:54 pm  
Blogger dee said...

Hey Becky I found your blog through the amazing myspace. It takes a little to overcome the feeling of not feeling like your home when you get back. Or at least it's taken me up until now for me to stop feeling that way.

Go Church City Blues! Drew from Brisbane is going to be teaching at it and him and I have decided to get together for a bit to do some dance practice together too! He's awesome.

1:25 am  
Blogger adelle said...

haha looks like you've been busted as a MySpace sell-out too!!!!

hehe. see u tonight!

2:25 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home